Monday 20 May 2013

Living Room Ceiling 2

And there it is, ceiling lowered by 50mm, ready to be taped and filled and ready to have the new coving fitted. Before you ask, No, the light fitting is not staying!

The other 'half' of the living room required sheets which were 1.8m in length, which was slightly shorter than the length of the staging.  Therefore I had to change my method for lifting the sheet in place and I used two lengths of 50mmx50mm timber to support the sheet along its length, lifting it up into its final position using two pieces of timber across the 50mmx50mm.

I repeated the process for each sheet and before long one 'half' of the living room was done!

With the sheet lying across the staging, I lifted it up into place using some spare 50mmx50mm timber.  This brought the sheet in at almost the perfect height and with some minor movement left-right, forwards and backwards it was ready for securing in place.  I had the option of nailing or screwing and i opted for screwing as it allowed me to fully control the incremental tightening in place as I worked across the sheet, it also resulted in much less vibration and a lot less noise.

I borrowed the staging from my father-in-law and conveniently it was only 125mm shorter than the finished height of the new ceiling.  To protect the plasterboard and support it prior to fitting I taped 2 planks of wood across the uprights of the staging then lifted the plaserboard up and slid it across onto these.
 
 
After studding out the ceiling it was time to start fitting the 8'x4' sheets of plasterboard.........myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment