Thursday 23 July 2015

The best winch I've ever had

For the next job I had to fit a 1.5m long K9 lintel weighing approx. 125Kg in the loft to provide some support for the steel beams which are hopefully going in this week.  The only problem was that the lintel had to be lifted 2.5m up into the loft space!  

To get the lintel up onto the top landing i simply strapped it onto a barrow and wheeled/bumped it up the stairs.  Seemples! 

I had previously lifted a smaller lintel up into the loft by sliding it up the planks of wood next to the ladder, however, this wasn't an option for the larger 125Kg lintel.

and here is the lintel in it's final place, resting on padstones at either end.  The steel support bracket/shoe for the steel beams is just sitting in place prior to being measured, marked and bolted to the party wall.

But how did you get the lintel up there i hear you ask.............










.......I used this electric winch, which i borrowed from my brother-in-law (but don't tell him, he doesn't know i borrowed it yet).  I bolted it to its swing arm and simply sat it across the newly fitted C16 collars above the loft opening.  After that i just lowered it, hooked it onto the barrow and pulled the barrow and lintel up the planks of wood.

Hey presto!  One lintel (and barrow) winched up into the loft space.

I wonder if this is how Stanley Kubrick lifted the monolith into place.





p.s. for my non-Scottish readers - a winch is another name for a kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment